Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Joining the Y has been a distaster

It's been a problem from the get go. I have been going every night since I joined. Starting Friday the 19th there have been real issues Sunday I sent an email. Here is what I wrote in my Sparkpeople blog:

his is a copy and paste of it

Hi,

I am a new masterkey member of the Y and for the most part I am enjoying it but I really have to question why you have rules for things like the 19 and older locker rooms or which way to go on the track or 12 and over on the fitness equipment if they are never enforced.
I have been to the Southtowns branch of the Y most evenings since I joined and there have been several issues that need addressing.
One is that on Friday March 19th, 2001 2010 there was a toddler aged child upstairs in the Wellness Center ( I think that's what you call it) running in between the machines,,, I saw one woman fall because she was trying to avoid the kid. This is dangerous to everyone involved. I have no issue with children of reasonable age using the machines if they are able to do so safely- this chils was not able to do that and his/her parents were not watching them so that they were safe.
On Saturday March 20th, 2010 I saw several young children brought into the Woman's - 19 and over change room, one of whom, a young boy, made several disconcerting comments to me about private areas of my body while he was there. His mother did nothing to stop this. Staff was made aware of him yet did not make his mother take him to the family dresing room. I should be able to be in the dressing room with out harrassment because someone decided that they don't have to follow rules. ( Would you like it if an opposite sex child assked you about your body while you did not even have underware on? and made comments about areas normally covered by said underware?)
Today, Sunday March 21st 2010. I was enjoying a brisk walk around the track when someone brought her infant in a stroller on to the track, going the wrong way and taking up two lanes at a time as she crossed to one of the areas designed to give runners a break ( you know the parts that are not part of the lane but where you can pull off and rest without distrupting others) I had to stop completely because she took her time getting there and with the stroller she literally used two lanes at time and she did not even join the flow of traffic she went opposite to where we were going and I had no choice other than to stop or hit her or the kid. Not safe or fair to those using the track for what it's meant for. When I complained to the staff about it they said "sometimes we allow that." So why are the rules even in place? I had thought that they were there for the safety of all concerned but if they are broken anytime someone decides they don't have to follow them...why have them in the first place.

I do hope you'll address these concerns, as I find the Y an nice place to work out, I just would like it to be a bit safer for all concerned.

Thank you,

Mynamehere.


What I did not put in was that there were kids taking video of folks working out on their cell phones, who would not stop when asked. That's an annoyance but not really a safety issue. I can deal with annoyances I think safety issues come first and yes I think an opposite sexed child asking really personal questions about folks bodies is a safety issue in this day and age. It's just far too easy for someone to get accused of something horrid for no reason. I don't know if I'll be told to leave the Y because of this but something needs to change.



Today's Post is:

I got this note yesterday from the Executive Director Of the Southtowns Branch

Dear XX
Thanks for taking the time to follow up on your concerns and
frustrations with our YMCA. I left phone a message with your
sister-in-law earlier today and hope that she can articulate our
discussion to you. Please feel free to contact me directly if you wish
to personally discuss the situations listed below.
As I stated to her, I am disappointed and frustrated with your
experiences as well and know that we are capable of doing better. I
will be working with our staff to remind them of the importance of
member concerns and how each of these situations could have been
corrected and/ or avoided.

Best Regards,
XXX


So with High hopes of being able to use the 19+ lockerroom in peace I went tonight. I should never have believed that He'd do anything about it.
I worked out walked into the 19+ dressing room to find a mother daughter team who looked like they were undressing....the kids shirt was sweated through. I reminded them that this was not the Family Dressing room and the mother made the comment that she had just told the kid that someone would feel that way and that "It's ok, We'reOk' and I walked out saying "I am not" and went to the front desk. Told the young man there who said we'll get someone to take care of it for you. and then they took their time to go find someone...the girl put on her sweat shirt checked a file, and then went to look at something else and while this was going on the mother cameout and confronted me with "It's unfortunate that you feel this way" I replied that "It's unfortunate that some parents think they don't have to follow rules." and she said to the staff "it's ok it was us. let her make her complaint and I will tell them it's ok, that it's us and it' will be ok."
I told the staff that I wanted a manager and was told they are all in a meeting and I replied that I was told by XXX that if I had an issue again to have a manager called and they would be there in 20 min and she replied that they were all in a meeting. She pulled someone else out of the office who appeared to be just another worker and she tried her best to placate me. I told her that I had just heard from XXX on this same issue because Saturday I was asked by a child why I "Had hair down there" by a young boy in there. So now 24 hours after I hear that XXX is going to address the issue of kids in that dressing I have another there? And this time it's STAFF flaunting the rules.
I joined the Y because of the 19+ dressing rooms...If they are not going to be enforced - I want my money back.


I sent this in reply to the email I received from XXXX

Dear Mr XXX,


Interesting that I should hear from you on this. I went back to the Y today and worked out, went down to the 19+ dressing room only to find a mother and daughter in there. I reminded them that this is not the family dressing room and she said "It's ok, We're Ok" and I walked out saying "I am not." I am seriously uncomfortable with changing in from of strange children. Especially after Saturday's episode!
Walked out to the front desk asked them to do something and they took their time finding someone to go in...in the mean time the mother walked out and said "It's really unfortuante you feel this way. But she does not need to hear about it." I responded with "It's unfortunate that some parents don't have to follow the rules and if she can be there she can hear about it." ( Honest I said nothing but "I am not" ) and then she addressed the staff behind the desk "It's ok, let her make her complaint and I will tell them it was us....It's ok." As she was walking away she said again "It's really unfortunate that you feel this way."
What it's unfortunate that someone should think that kids don't belong in an adult area or that staff should follow the well posted rules?
I picked the Y to join because of the 19 and over dressing room... unfortunately it seems that it is not a reality. I am not sure I even want to remain a member since your staff feels that they have carte blanche to disregard rules at their whim.
I did ask for a manager and the young woman behind the desk told me "They are all in a meeting" and called over someone named Meagan ( sp?) who appeared to be just another staff member. Meagan said "I am sorry for your experiences and basically tried to placate me but it was very painfully obvious that they did not take the complain seriously. And yes, I did tell them that I had just heard from you about this same issue ( kids in the 19+ dressing room on Monday.).
IT should be noted that I have been a member two weeks and only used the 19+ dressing room twice and found that folks had kids in there both times. So I am fairly certain this goes on quite frequently, it is especially disheartening and disturbing that staff is so confident that nothing will change because they are staff.

Thank you,

XXXX

I am just so sick of this. I don't care if I have to stay a fat chick. I don't want to be ogled, stared at comment on and inspected at every damn turn because some parents are so fucking entitled that they don't have to follow their own companies damned rules.

I don't think I am going ever enjoy going to the Y again.

2 comments:

Belinda said...

That is rather inconsiderate of them. I agree - why have '19 or older' rules if they won't be enforced? As a parent, I wouldn't be comfortable taking my child into a '19 or older' locker room, especially when there's a 'family' locker room...it boggles the mind why someone else would.

Hope you'll be able to find someplace where you can feel comfortable...

andi said...

Saturday while I was there,for several hours, I heard parents complaining that having separate facilities for over 19 people is discrimination against kids and that they would take their kids where they wanted to even if it was against the rules.
So it's wrong to "discriminate" against kids but it's ok to make adults a spectacle for those kids, apparently. I am so sick of the adults are only there to pay the bills for kids...even if the adult does not have kids.
For instance a Single adult at the Y pays 380 per year in membership fees
A Married Couple - pays 476 for the two of them, or 238 person.
A family pays 541 or 181 person if there is only one kid..but if you have two or three or even 18 ( like Octomom or the Duggars) you STILL pay 541. My friend who has three kids, herself and her husband will pay 108.20 per person yet most of the programs are for kids, and if you take a look at the fact that there are both family facilities AND girl's and boy's facilities that are comparable to the 19 and older rooms - the actually GET more for less money. ( or another way oflooking at it is Simgles are subsidizing everyone else because our fees are disproportionally higher)
But we are discriminating against *KIDS* ????
Yeah, right.

Need a Snow Day?