I really like this one, I've never seen the "Home Blog" for this before...but I'll go with anything that lets me spout off about the musical things ( read People mostly) that I give daily thanks for. Be prepared for this to be long.
1)The Barra MacNeils. Taken together or as individuals these are wonderful people. Worth admiring and loving for so many reasons. From Oldest to youngest
Sheumas - It took me years to talk to him, literally years. He looks sooooooo intimidating on stage- and off, he's a complete gentleman. Enough of one to leave me be til I felt comfortable talking to him, even tho' it bothered him that I was afraid of him. In the past few years, he and I have learned to trust each other and I can see that he is pleased that I am willing to get closer to him.
Kyle, the master fiddler, my inspiration for keeping going with fiddle and the person I dream about playing with...and he fosters this. They all do,,,,but his reaction this summer when I gave him the card with the note telling me how much his music means to me, made me feel so good...he's wonderful, I don't get his sense of humour but I love him for not laughing at me for holding the dream of playing with him.
Lucy...Let's just say she's the only girl I ever wanted to be like. Strong, feminine and loving...she makes me feel welcome no matter what's going on in her life, and being away from home has to make for some hardtimes. She's special, I hope she knows it.
Stewart...to me he hung the moon and set the stars in the sky and that has nothing to do with a romantic crush or whatever you want to imagine. It has to do with how he makes me feel. Like I can be myself around him, and he won't mock or make fun of me. He can talk to me about things that matter to me - things that matter as much to me as music does to him, and not have to worry about him making me feel dumb, or that he feels that those things are stupid or denigrating or... he makes me feel like I matter, like I am safe, like it's ok to be me. I don't feel that often, but he manages it. Even when he's giggling his butt off at my total lack of a sense of rhythm. He can tease with out making fun of someone. ( one has a sense of fun, the other has a sense of malice about it. Stewart doesn't do it with malice.) Amazing in my eyes
Ryan,,,,Ryan is the one I know the least. But if he's half the person his siblings are, he's going to be another treasure. I've only actually had one "conversation" with him...it's going to be awhile before I can say anything real about him.
Boyd - For as young as he is, he's special. He seems to know folks, it's like he can sense what makes folks nervous and can find away around it. He likes people and it shows. He's gentle and kind and willing to talk and help and make things seem better. This summer before I told Kyle about my studying violin, I was talking to Boyd about it and made the comment that I missed the Cape Breton style of teaching...Boyd made a comment that I am sure that he's forgotten, but I'll remember for a long time. He told me that HE had a hard time with Classical Lessons, too. It made me feel less stupid, like I had company in my frustrations and I've remembered that so many times when struggling. Like if he got through it, got where he is maybe there's hope for me too. I hope he understands that his kindness is appreciated.
2)Mac Morin. Because he's Mac and is beyond description. He's made such a difference this year. I wish he could know.
3) Trish...who listens to me whine about lessons, who encourages me, who explains to me and who "translates" for me with the Barras. ( Look she's too shy to tell you but....") I don't have words for her either,except that it's my great good fortune to know her. She's the sister I always wished I had.
4) Sons Of Maxwell: I love them as people as well as Musicians.
Dave - one of his songs made me think about how men view women - so much gentleness and tenderness there...and so different than what I am used to. Good man, caring.
Don - again took me a long time to warm up to but I think about him daily and well there's no words for him..I wish I had a sense of rhythm- I'd love to play bodhran like him, his sense of fun comes through when he plays. There's a bit of devilment in him and in his playing and it makes the world a more laughter filled place because of him.
5) Great Big Sea: their music is just plain fun. enough said.

No comments:
Post a Comment