I am on a 30 day probation at work for, well mostly for crying at work when frustrated. They call it "abusive to the participants".
Well let me tell you what brought those tears on. First was the whole incident in my post on August 9th - you can read about it there. And the very next Thursday I had a run in with the CEO of the company. Why? Because I made a mistake and grabbed her Taco Salad. Here's how it went.
I ordered my lunch early in the day and Wednesday they forgot to make it for me. So Thursday I walked into the kitchen when I was ready to eat and asked "did you make my lunch" and got the reply from K - who was standing in back of a taco salad said "yes, it's right here." So I walked back and snagged the one she was standing by. Sounds Logical, right? Except there is very little Logic ( or even logic) to be had there. Not 10 seconds later CEO comes out and starts yelling that was hers, and she paid for it - did I even pay for mine? In front of participants - at least 6 of them that I know and likely more. She completely dressed me down in front of folks and then walked away.
I didn't eat then, and walked out of the cafeteria in tears. and went and cried outside for a half hour, got up washed my face and went to the work room - where J was. J decided it would be a good idea to start with me again and I burst into tears again. Grand.
So I spent the following Thursday in the other K's office being told what a schmuck I am and that I apparently undercut the supervisors by telling them no - usually in demands of my time when I don't have it to give ( I do have certain times I have to do my actual job and if you want me to do stuff during those times the answer is no) , my supplies that they have no right to and/or my talents to teach folks crafts on my lunch. And as far as I am concerned they have no rights to the last two. Teaching crafts at any time is not part of my job description, but in this place it would also be me buying the craft supplies for this "project". Not their right to demand.
BUT I apparently have no right to say no to this. Oh, well, it ain't happening even if they fire me for doing so.
Just another reason I need a new job.
Now the rest of the title - Why I am never going out of my way again.
Last week end Anne and I and several others from the OKP decided we were going to the Great Big Sea concert in TO. Anne and I together. Helen from Colorado and several others that I don't know from various points of The US by themselves and there was a discussion of meeting up at the show.
Well life happens and it did last weekend in the form of Hurricane Bill. It shut down JFK, LaGuardia and Newark Airports for a bit on Friday and stranded Helen and another person, Renata.
Helen posted in FB about not being able to rent a car and I told her to get here I'd put her up for the night and she could go early Saturday. Well due to the She was booked on a confirmed flight at 11am Saturday and should have been in Buffalo about 1pm - no problem right? well, not so much. She got on standby for an earlier flight and they took her off the list for the 11 am flight. She never got on the earlier flight. She called me in tears at 7:30 and was telling me about it when she heard a call for a flight to Rochester, NY boarding then. I mean right then. As we spoke. She got on that flight and called me when she got there - trying to find a way down.
In the mean time I called Trish and asked her to drive up with me to fetch her. When Helen called she was trying to get a bus down to Buffalo and I told her to stay put we were going to come get her. It was a 60+ mile trip each way and Helen was thrilled or at least she acted the part well.
We got back at about 3 and met up with Anne who was already at my house.
While waiting for Helen to get to Rochester another person popped up as being Stranded in Buffalo, Renata. She was to get to Buffalo Airport ( 5 min from my house) at 5:30pm -concert at 8- no problem right? TO's only 90 miles away and I can and have done it in under 2.5 hours, most Buffaloians can. Works in theory.
What happened is practice is that we had two of the most entitled, self centered, self absorbed riders ever.
We picked up Renata and were on our way - traffic at the bridge was with us as were all the traffic gods and a "Good Strong Wind" - but not the attitudes of the folks in back. They had a discussion about how we "Could drop them off at their hotel so Renata could shower and we could leave them there so we would not be inconvienced even more"
Neither asked US how we felt about it and when I protested that I wanted to see the opening band, Spirit Of The West (SOTW), a fantastic band and one of my favourites, they told me "Renata needs a shower" in a tone of voice that said "How dare you." and "you're just the driver, so shut up and drive." I shot a look to Anne and she was no happier than I. But we could not drop them in the middle of the road and let them walk. So we took them - the hotel was another half hour out of the way. So we missed seeing SOTW when we could have been there for the entire show had it not been for our being nice to stranded folks. When we dropped them off at the hotel,
Helen at least said "thanks" Renata not at all.
Never again will I go out of my way for people like that.

No comments:
Post a Comment