Sunday, August 9, 2009

I might make more. Right. In their dreams.

I spent about an hour or so at work in tears. literally could not stop crying.
I work with developmentally disabled adults and when I started I was told that they wanted us to "share our passions and interests" and that they wanted the workshop decorated. Great thing to tell a fibre artist and carfter, right?
Well I was dumb enough to take them at their word and spent the last few months creating, from scratch, posters of the individual letters of the sign language alphabet, I matted them, laminated them and then mounted them on the cafeteria wall. Not really fancy but it was an educational tool to teach our folks a bit more sign language, even if it was only to be able to spell their names to out deaf population.
Yesterday I saw one of our participants taking them down. Just standing on a chair, ripping them off the wall. So I wrote him up - and figured he'd be told to keep his hands off what does not belong to him - especially since he has a history of vandalism.
Today I got pulled into an office and told that I "had to make it right for X." And that his mom was "irate" because he was "accused" So, he gets away with it and I have to fix the things he destroyed. And that I need to "Build a positive relationship with X, because he did not do this to you. It wasn't a personal attack or anything. Don't take it so hard."
I actually got a lecture about how "It's not anything against you and you should not be upset that the posters were damaged. It's not like it was aimed at you. yada,yada,yada. "
I hate my job right now. Oh and the kicker is - they actually want me to continue decorating things around the facility and are upset with me because I said no. Sigh. Why are the non creative folks so dense?

No comments:

Need a Snow Day?