Tuesday, September 11, 2007

9/11 May we always remember.

9/11/2001 ....I was at work when the first plane hit, by the time the second one hit I was home. I live damn near across the street and walked it. I walked in the door, turned on the tv and watched the NEWS reports...and listened to Music.
The Barras and Great Big Sea and found comfort, hope, joy and love in the music. And I got on the computer...and into a live chatroom with friends from around the world. With in seconds I was joined by Stacy from Nova Scotia, Alex from Italy, Teddy from England all wanting to know what the hell was happening here.
And I couldn't tell them...I was 500 miles away from NYC and farther from the Pentagon. PA was closer - but still 100's of miles. But Buffalo was weird. With in hours we had armed soldiers on the streets. Scary, weird and sad. Never in my life did I think I'd see the Army called out for anything but snow removal here.
It was shocking to see the towers fall and more shocking to think that 3,000 people perished that day.
The country pulled together in it's shock and grief. Folks did things like donate blood, money, clothes, time, prayed, cried, stitched quilts, and talked. There were flags hung and candles lit. There were vigils, and country wide "nights out" and other things I am not thinking of...and people talked.
But you know all that talking, did no go instead of listening and growing closer we've become farther apart...and now folks who are Mid-Eastern looking, or Muslim in appearance are suspect more than ever. Type cast and feared...and most are good decent folks who just want to go about their daily lives.
I think that adding to the fear in this world, that we all live with - is one of the bigger tragedies of 9/11/2001

May we never forget either the victims or the lessons.

No comments:

Need a Snow Day?