Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Blog for Choice Day.


UPDATE I RENOUNCE THIS AND IRGE EVERY ONE TO SEEK OUT HELP AND NKT KILL YOUR BABY 



One of my favourite Bloggers had a post saying that today was "Blog for Choice Day". It made me thing about choices. Not only the one that "Blog for choice" refers to - because I DO think that reproductive rights are essential. But I also think that other rights are JUST as important. First of all reproductive rights are vital to protect. Vital not only for the physical and emotional health of women, but to ensure that we are not back into the age where women had one and only one purpose - bearing children. Part of being a "real" purpose is having the right to determine one's life and that includes their reproductive lives as well. You know, Having been through a childhood filled with sexual abuse, having been raped, it would have completely destroyed me if I had gotten pregnant and had to carry the product of rape to term. And it would have been another rape. DO I think abortion is a good way to conduct birth control? not on your life BUT I do think that it needs to be protected as an "On demand right" because for anyone who's been raped, gotten pregnant because of it, to have to go to a "tribunal" or go through any process at all to get that abortion approved is unthinkable. I think if folks want to drop the abortion rate, they need to make sure that contraception is not only available but understood and not shrouded in shame. And that sex is treated as a fact of life, not a thing of shame. Honestly if people of all ages could talk about sex openly, honestly and with out all the emotion - that would be a major step forward and make it so that people could get the "protection" they need so they don HAVE to have abortions. But that would be too simple, no? And speaking of talking about sex in an unemotional manner...let's talk porn. ODD subject for a celibate to talk about, eh? Well, you know there's choices to be made there too. And contrary to popular myth all women in porn are not man hating -forced to be where they are, feeling demeaned and degraded victims - Some actually made a CHOICE To be where they are, enjoy their jobs and have relationships with men - both in and out of bed. Porn viewing on the other hand is a CHOICE entirely and if you don't want to watch it don't. If you want to watch it go ahead. But hating folks because they make the choice to be in it...well I only want to know if you want them to hate you for your choices? Some how I doubt it.

No comments:

Need a Snow Day?