They are one in the same and "Forgotten Holiday". It so said that these men and woman who fought, died or for and live with the lasting memories that war brings are forgotten in the memories of the very people they fought for. How horrible it must be to have sacrificed that much and not even have that remembered. To be treated, often times as, burdens rather than heroes.
Do you realize that with out them so much of what we treasure about our lives would be gone? Freedom, safety, peace. They secured it - at their expense and don't think those that came home didn't pay a heavy price,too. And so many of us don't even take a minute or two, even on this day to say "thanks" or to spare a thought or a prayer for them. Muchless to mark the day.
When I was a kid there were ceremonies and parades and popies were worn by everyone, how sad that it's not that way anymore.
If you're a Vet today, and always, please accept my thanks and prayers for your safety, health and peace....and if your not would it be so damn hard to express a little gratitude to those who did what you wouldn't/couldn't?
More to come later, if I can actually put my feelings into words.

2 comments:
Amen, sister! Our culture spends so much attention and adulation on celebrities, while those who have made an honest difference by their sacrifices are all but forgotten...
Belinda,
My dad fought in Korea, my Uncles in WWII, My greandfathers and Great Uncles in WWI, I have friends and cousins who were in Vietnam, some of my friends were in the first Gulf war and my nephew's best Friend is getting ready to leave for his THIRD tour in Iraq.
And it seems that our society is hell bent on making them in monsters while folks like Mel Gibson and his ilk are on pedestals. I think it's sick - spiritually sick - but I am just one....it's nice to see the discussion on the wagon, tho' maybe there's more of us who remember than I thought. Maybe.
Post a Comment