I've been thinking a LOT about tolerance lately....mainly due to work issues. And the situation at work has gotten worse. First work developments:
I put decorations on the wall...simple ones,made of construction paper and glue - taped on to the walls. And folks got bent out of shape - even the health care aide from an outside agency got pissy over them because they "violate her beliefs" apparently things like dreidels, deers, candles and evergreens violate some Christian beliefs that I am not aware of. She is ticked that there is no manger scene in them...because there are religious Christian symbols all over the place at work. Heck there is a manger scene in the cafeteria as there is! But she got bent and threatened to report it to her agency as hostile. riiiiiight!
Another thing that has me thinking is the slogan "Tolerance at all costs" - I really don't understand that. What exactly are you tolerating there...unruly kids, those who don't like the unruliness, folks who's lifestyles and beliefs are different than yours, people who hate and live by that hate, who? and why? and what happens when tolerance runs out...what then? Do the tolerators get to "crack down" on the toloratees as has been done historically? Mere Tolerance does not go far enough, IMHO.
Nor, for that matter does acceptance. Acceptance to me smacks of resignation. Not really sure how to word it, but the closest I can come to describing it is _ "I can't make you be what I want you to be so I have to resign myself to it and this is my show of how wonderful I am - see I accept this!" sorry that attitude doesn't cut it either.
I'm not sure what the answer is..but stopping at tolerance and/or acceptance is too little, for many things and uncalled for in others. Somethings should never be tolerated...other things it just doesn't go far enough.

No comments:
Post a Comment