When I interviewed at work they told me that "We're very into holidays here. Very into them." It's nearing Christmas and they are having a contest to dress up the work rooms for the holiday. And I decided the café as they call it needed some sprucing up too. Oh, we have a time worn Xmas tree. But I am doing other things. Like Chanukkah and Kwanza and Yule along with Christmas.
So today I am sitting at the table on my UNPAID lunch. Tracing dreidle stencils and talking to M and L. When P comes up and says in *That* tone of voice "What is that?"
Me: It's a dreidle
P: Is it *Jewish*
Me* Yes, its a Chanukkah toy
P: are those Jewish symbols
Me: they are Hebrew letters
P: But they are Jewish, right?
Me: yes, sort of, they are Hebrew letters
P: If they are *Jewish* you'd better get Judy's approval.
Me: Why we do Christmas, why not dreidles?
P: You'd better get Judy's approval before someone gets offended.
and she walks away.
next thing I know K is standing there asking what's going on. And I try to tell,but am too uncomprehending and outright stunned to be coherent. K gets the general gist and tells me it's ok, she's in charge of the café and she say's it's ok, so it's ok. And walks away.
And she comes back and I am working on white hebrew letters, and we get talking again and I ask if we really need to talk to Judy. She says no, it's a non issue and why would we make an issue about a non issue. and walks away again. I had to go back to my room and she went into her office. And came out yet again and talked to L.
L gave me the message that K had talked to my bosses boss, her best friend and also a K and told her what was going on. K told her that as of that conversation I had her approval and if anyone had an issue with it they could come to her.
I am still stunned that it had come up...they are tops, toys, a game for goodness sake! This is the kid of stuff that makes non Christians so hardline about Christmas celebrations these days. Tolerance goes both ways, folks.
Peace on Earth, Goodwill towards Man, Indeed.

No comments:
Post a Comment